The Brunswick Transition Unit (BTU) is one of Croxton School’s secondary settings. It is located in the grounds of Brunswick Secondary College, situated in Brunswick to the north of Melbourne’s CBD. The school has a diverse population of students and maintains a community ambience with close relationships between students, parents and teachers. The BTU is an innovative and unique setting committed to enabling each student to achieve their full academic potential. Students are encouraged to build upon their learning experience and navigate their individual learning journey.
As part of the school community BTU students are involved in all facets of secondary life including integration into a variety of educational programs, school assemblies, year level activities, and vocal and instrumental music programs. Integration into classes is an extremely important aspect of the BTU and as such, all students are required to attend BSC classes. Students attend these classes with a teacher from the BTU who supports the BSC teacher in the planning, modification and implementation of the class. The integration program is supported by the staff and administration level and has been an integral part of the College since 1991. Students are required to purchase and wear the full Brunswick Secondary College School uniform.
At the BTU we offer:
- Functional literacy and numeracy programs as well as enhancement literacy and numeracy programs. These are taught in the base rooms and reflect the goals set in the students’ Individual Education Programs.
- Programs to develop students’ independence and development and practice of positive personal values, social skills and resilience.
- The Citylife program takes advantage of the educational opportunities and experiences Melbourne has to offer.
- Participation in the ADVANCE program where students learn to develop leadership qualities.
- Work Experience is an integral part of this program and students skills are developed to enable them to effectively apply for and manage a work placement.